Top Five Steps to Proper Foot Care
Your feet are one of the most underrated parts of our body. Although they bear the brunt of our weight throughout the day, we constantly refuse them the attention they deserve. We keep banging our little toe on every bit of furniture, subject our feet to the agony of the same pair of socks for two days in a row (some of us anyway). The general perception being, they remain covered most of the time, other than in summers, they don’t even see the light of the day. So why care? But improper foot care results in conditions like athlete’s foot and many other grotesque fungal infections. Here are a few tips which will help you care for your feet, the way you should.
· Wash your feet daily: The importance of washing your feet daily cannot be stressed enough. We generally do not take a bath in the evening after returning from school or work. But our feet are as overworked as us. One should make it a habit to wash one’s feet every day after returning home. Soap up your feet and pay special attention to the places between the toes because mostly they go unnoticed and the dirt and dust keep accumulating there resulting is complications at a later stage.
· Wear comfortable shoes: Shoes which are not comfortable and you only bought them because they look cool are not worth your feet. Similarly shoes smaller than your feet leave your feet grasping for air, and causes problems such as ingrown toenails, hammer toe and some general foot pain. Again wearing shoes bigger than your feet, does not set your heel in the right place and causes blisters and sore heels. So your shoe needs to be of the proper size and must be comfortable to keep your feet in a good shape.
· Wear Socks: Socks not only helps keep your feet warm and cosy but also provides an additional layer between your feet and your shoes. It can be viewed as a shock absorption layer which prevents your feet from the regular wear and tear and absorbs the excess moisture.
· Moisturize: A moisturizer keeps your feet from getting dry. If one develops a habit of putting on foot cream or moisturizer daily on one’s foot before going to bed, it goes a long way in keeping one’s feet soft and prevents conditions like a severely cracked heel. But be careful not to over-moisturize the gaps between your toes as it then becomes a habitat for fungus to grow.
· Pedicures: Regular pedicures are an effective way to your feet soft, free from germs and your toenails healthy and clean. However, many doctors advice to use your own kit for pedicures, and it is not at all uncalled for because although a salon may provide you an overall amazing foot experience, but you are still taking the chance or letting microorganisms into your system if the salon supplies are not properly sanitized. Clip your nails every week and if you want you can do your own pedicures once a month.
Apart from the above mentioned tips, do visit a Podiatrist from time to time, to get expert opinions and to assess the health of your feet. If you have a European health card, it covers your podiatric expenses even if you are in another part of Europe. Take care of your feet, they are your ticket to roam this world freely.
Melody Cleo is a passionate blogger from Manchester, UK. In her free time, she writes articles on various topics such as technology, gadgets, travel…etc. As of now she is focusing on European Health Insurance Card, which provides health insurance services for the European people.